Taking over Sources from http://dnpextensions.codeplex.com/

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Hi there,

my project (http://dnpextensions.codeplex.com/) is open source and I'm fine if you take over sources to your project including all my comments and stuff. However I would appreciate if you could add some credits to your project especially as you ask for donations for work that's actually not yours.

Regards,

Patrick

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Patrick,

My sincerest apologies for not giving credit where credit is due.  My intent was to place the best extensions out there, as well as many of my own, into a single package that is easy to use in your own project.  I will inspect my source to see where any of your code exists, and give you credit for anything I can find.  I'll also link back to your project.  If this doesn't work for you, I would be happy to remove any code you would like.

Again, my apologies.

Kevin

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Hi Kevin,

please add some credits and a back line – that would be fine with me. Otherwise we could also think about merging both libraries.

Patrick

Sent: Samstag, 14. November 2009 08:53
To: Patrick A. Lorenz
Subject: Re: Taking over Sources from http://dnpextensions.codeplex.com/ [edgeextensions:75107]

Patrick,

My sincerest apologies for not giving credit where credit is due. My intent was to place the best extensions out there, as well as many of my own, into a single package that is easy to use in your own project. I will inspect my source to see where any of your code exists, and give you credit for anything I can find. I'll also link back to your project. If this doesn't work for you, I would be happy to remove any code you would like.

Again, my apologies.

Kevin

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (edgeextensions@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email edgeextensions@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Patrick,

I would be interested in merging our projects.  It seems to me that we could end up with a pretty powerful library in the end.  The only question I have is, what's the best way to go about it?

I'm sure you have certain standards and guidelines for your project, as I do for mine (for example, I use StyleCop with the default settings and I'd like to have unit tests where it makes sense).  If we could come to an agreement on what those guidelines should be in the beginning, I'm sure we could make it work in the big picture.

Regarding donations, I have removed my button.  I've had 500 or so downloads so far and not a single donation - and I don't expect to receive one any time soon.  Besides, that's not why I started this thing anyway.  I wanted to help other people to be more productive, and I wanted to become more productive myself.  I'm not sure why I put that button on there.  Oh well, live and learn.

What are your thoughts?

Kevin

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Hi Kevin,

yes, I do think we would be able to set up a common set of style guides. I for example currently do not have any unit tests in place for that the project but I’m totally fine with adding some. I already thought about using one of our build servers on top of the Codeplex repository. I guess that would make a team progress easier as well.

There’s one thing special about the project: it’s part of a column I write for the German .NET print magazine dotnetpro (www.dotnetpro.de). So I used to publish a new version of the library every single month (for every edition of the magazine). Those enhancements were always dedicated to a special area like the file system or stream in general etc. I would be required to keep that kind of release cycle but of course a release could contain more than just those changes.

What would you think about that?

Patrick

Sent: Samstag, 14. November 2009 18:24
Subject: Re: Taking over Sources from http://dnpextensions.codeplex.com/ [edgeextensions:75107]

Patrick,

I would be interested in merging our projects. It seems to me that we could end up with a pretty powerful library in the end. The only question I have is, what's the best way to go about it?

I'm sure you have certain standards and guidelines for your project, as I do for mine (for example, I use StyleCop with the default settings and I'd like to have unit tests where it makes sense). If we could come to an agreement on what those guidelines should be in the beginning, I'm sure we could make it work in the big picture.

Regarding donations, I have removed my button. I've had 500 or so downloads so far and not a single donation - and I don't expect to receive one any time soon. Besides, that's not why I started this thing anyway. I wanted to help other people to be more productive, and I wanted to become more productive myself. I'm not sure why I put that button on there. Oh well, live and learn.

What are your thoughts?

Kevin

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (edgeextensions@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email edgeextensions@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Patrick,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.  It's been a busy week.

Your release cycle would work fine for me.  Generally, the way I contribute is by throwing in tidbits of my everyday work into the project.  A more predictable release cycle does seem to be the way to go.  I may be able to sprinkle in a few topical extensions here and there that you can use for your article.

The only problem we might have in making this happen is where we merge to.  Here are my concerns:

1) You have established links into your project from other places, as do I.  MSDN magazine will also be crediting my project in an upcoming issue on extension methods.  You have several references to your project out there, as well.

2) Regarding the namespace, I'm not sure how I feel about it being based upon a commercial entity (I'm not sure how I feel with it being attached to any commercial ventures).  How attached are you to PGK as a root namespace?

3) There are also a few other contributors to my project, and I haven't had a chance to find out how they feel about merging into another project.

Would you require that we merged into yours?  Should we create a new project, perhaps, and create a namespace that is more generic; and both link our current project homepages to it?  We could link to your articles, as you do now, from the homepage.  Coordinator bios/pictures/links, perhaps?  Also, I wouldn't mind contacting a few other (less active) extension project coordinators and asking them if they'd like to merge into whatever we create.

What are your thoughts on these concerns?  I apologize that I have them, but I have them nonetheless.

Warmest regards,

Kevin

p.s. 

I do have one other thing to contribute - I created a documentation app that creates the CodePlex homepage code from xml comments (which I could spice up to make it look more like yours).  It also documents code usage examples (you can see these in other discussions on my project page).

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Hi Kevin,

sorry for the delay.

1. I would actually love to keep the existing project and merge yours into it. The project has some established links and well stable and growing stats.

2. I'm fine with changing the namespace to something more generic and non-commercial. PGK is our company name and that's just the "default" root namespace we choose. This would cause breaking chances to both projects which I think is fair enough. However I currently do not use any namespaces internally to allow developers to use the extensions anywhere in their code without the need to import namespaces.

Regarding the other points: I'm happy to extend the project with whatever we have and makes sense including the people / contributers working both projects.

Take care,

Patrick

Sent: Montag, 23. November 2009 01:15

Patrick,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. It's been a busy week.

Your release cycle would work fine for me. Generally, the way I contribute is by throwing in tidbits of my everyday work into the project. A more predictable release cycle does seem to be the way to go. I may be able to sprinkle in a few topical extensions here and there that you can use for your article.

The only problem we might have in making this happen is where we merge to. Here are my concerns:

1) You have established links into your project from other places, as do I. MSDN magazine will also be crediting my project in an upcoming issue on extension methods. You have several references to your project out there, as well.

2) Regarding the namespace, I'm not sure how I feel about it being based upon a commercial entity (I'm not sure how I feel with it being attached to any commercial ventures). How attached are you to PGK as a root namespace?

3) There are also a few other contributors to my project, and I haven't had a chance to find out how they feel about merging into another project.

Would you require that we merged into yours? Should we create a new project, perhaps, and create a namespace that is more generic; and both link our current project homepages to it? We could link to your articles, as you do now, from the homepage. Coordinator bios/pictures/links, perhaps? Also, I wouldn't mind contacting a few other (less active) extension project coordinators and asking them if they'd like to merge into whatever we create.

What are your thoughts on these concerns? I apologize that I have them, but I have them nonetheless.

Warmest regards,

Kevin

p.s.

I do have one other thing to contribute - I created a documentation app that creates the CodePlex homepage code from xml comments (which I could spice up to make it look more like yours). It also documents code usage examples (you can see these in other discussions on my project page).